Saturday, October 18, 2008

Bye Bye Dahlias


Well, we had our first killing frost last night and the dahlias are no more. The bummer about it is that time got away from me last night and I never got around to cutting what I had before it got dark outside. I could only salvage about a half dozen blooms from the huge group I had. The rest had all been fried by the frost. Oh well. I cut down my stalks this afternoon and covered the nub with tin foil until next weekend when I plan on digging the tubers and dividing.

The end numbers were these. I started with 45 different varieties I believe, and ended with with 31 different blooms. I had one other that would have bloomed withing the next few days if not for the frost. As it was, the picture of Ripples is not a good one. I took it today and the petals are a little funky from last night.

I'm looking forward to next year already! Here's a picture of the garden in August - the good ole days with free time and warm days - and the token picture of Riley.

No comments: