
Well, since I'm officially on vacation now for the next week, I planned on spending the entire day digging my new garden. Since I have 44 varieties of dahlias, I need a place to plant them all where they have the space to grow to their fullest potential. My new garden is maybe 10 feet long and about two feet wide and runs along the side of the driveway. I expected it to take me all day and that I would have to take a break and go back out or even finish it tomorrow, but I finished the whole project in about 2 1/2 hours. all previously dug gardens at our house have been real processes. Last year Chris and Bruce had to pull out an old tree stump from the middle of my plot and all of the other gardens Bruce and I have dug have yielded interesting finds. We have found lots of glass, "60" confetti, wires, bud cans, and even found a pair of oarlocks. There has also always been lots of sand beneath the topsoil that required digging out the soil and replacing it with garden soil. Today I found one tiny piece of glass and not much else. There was no soil that needed to be removed either. I was very happy that it only took a few hours although the downside is that I was actually back inside to watch the NFL draft. My whole reason for doing the garden today was so I wouldn't have to see it!

Chris is a birdwatcher and took this picture the other day of an evening grossbeak. I was at work and didn't get to see it in real life and it hasn't been back since he took the picture. Last weekend we had an osprey circling above the pond looking for food. We saw it dive bomb the pond two times, but then saw that it was after a loon. We think it was confused and thought the loon was a fish. It was pretty cool though to see it bomb down from 100 feet in the air into the water.

Riley is pretty much the same. She still sleeps through the night almost every night. She loves watching Chris toss a toy up into the air and catch it by her head. She's also figured out how to bring things up to her mouth and love to suck on all of her toys. We're working on the rolling from tummy to back but it's hard because she likes to spit up whenever she's on her tummy (and then she puts her face in it). She's happy to spend more time outside but dressing her is tricky due to the unpredictable New England weather. Yesterday it was in the high 70s where I work, but lower where we live. Chris took her out to meet a friend at the mall, but she was overdressed because it was a few degrees cooler at our house and the day was warmer than the weather people said it would be anyway. Oh well, we'll figure it out.
No comments:
Post a Comment