Thursday, March 6, 2008

How many days till spring?



So, here I am - my very first blog. Little Miss Riley is taking a nap and the ticking time bomb could awaken at any moment screaming to be fed. This could be short. Of all the things I could be doing around the house right now, my daughter is sleeping and I'm doing this. To be fair though, I have been doing laundry, I swiffered the kitchen and even got the Murphy's Oil Soap out in contemplation of washing the wood floors. (It's only been since last Easter I think. Apparently floor cleaning was not one of those "nesting"things I did at the end of my pregnancy.)
Anyway, Riley had her two month check up on Tuesday. She's up to 13.4 lbs now, so she's gained 6 pounds since birth and almost 4 pounds in one month. I sure hope she slows down a bit since at two months she's outgrown all or her 0-3 month clothing. (And I once complained that she had too much to wear!) I have this irrational fear that she's going to keep gaining the way she has been and I'll have a 4 month old who can't fit in the carseat that's supposed to last her one year. Each day gets more rewarding as she becomes more and more active and starts smiling and cooing more and more. Her own little personality is becoming clear. She also received her first immunizations on Tuesday which was hard to watch. She was all happy and cooing and looking at me while the nurse held down her legs and I held her arms. Then she got jabbed with the needles and the poor thing didn't know what hit her. Next time she goes she'll be four months and Daddy will get to take her during his tour as stay-at-home-dad.
With another above freezing sunny day, we have more melting going on here - which we need. The snowbanks at the end of the driveway are still high, but with yesterday's rain the pond is a frozen sheet of glass (so is our driveway for that matter.) The dog seems to have injured himself. I think he maybe slipped on the drive or he has salt in his paw. I'm sure that he'll recover without a trip to the vet. We shall see.
I'm getting excited about this gardening season. Last year was a drag since not many of my dahlias came up and bloomed and I was tired and pregnant and couldn't really do what I wanted to the garden. Of course this year I might not have the time either with the baby, but I'm hoping for success with my dahlias and to maybe dig a new garden during April break. I'll be starting some seeds inside within the next few weeks, but won't be potting up my dahlias inside the way I did last year. Too little time plus Chris complained of the smell.
Well, time to change over the laundry. I'm sure that my time bomb will awake soon.

Things I love about Riley:
1. How she sometimes grabs onto my shirt when she's nursing
2. How freaking excited to see me she is when I go to her in the middle of the night or first thing in the morning.
3. The cute little smirk she gets on her face when she makes a mess in her clean diaper before I even have the chance to get her clothes back on.
4. The fact that she's a pretty good sleeper at night

Things Riley loves:
1. Her bouncy seat (which she has now been sleeping in for almost three hours)
2. The ceiling fan
3. Those little plastic rings you can link together
4. Looking at herself in the mirror

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katy, you can work on your blog every day and every day I'll read it. Lindsay is so excited to see all of you. I'll come see you this summer. Probably July. Love Lynn
Which identity do I want?

Anonymous said...

I love this! It can be a daily Katy and Riley visit for me without calling and possibly waking her. I love you Katy! You're such an awesome friend!

Anonymous said...

Of course I'll read this every time you post something. After all, I am her only Great Aunt Lynn

Keep Writing!!