Saturday, March 8, 2008

It was a fluke


Kurt Vonnegut wrote in an essay on writing that "one of the most damning revelations that you can make as a writer is that you don't know what is interesting and what is not." I think the same thing happens when you become a parent. As the stream of friends came through to visit, I found that Chris and I would share funny (to us) stories about Riley's latest poop or something equally disgusting. The thing is that it IS funny to us, and most parents take great interest in the bodily movements of their child because outtake shows intake. Maybe our friends with children get it, because they probably told us these types of stories when they became new parents and we just smiled and nodded, not quite finding the humor in pee on the bathroom mirror. Now we do. You have to laugh when your child sprays your toothbrush. You have to laugh when you're in a rush out the door and your child has a diaper blowout so intense it requires a complete change of clothes and the use of about 20 wipes because she should really get a bath, but you're on your way out the door. You laugh because at this point everything she does is cute and I can't help but share the cute things she does. I have to remind myself that some of it isn't interesting to everyone - or anyone but me and Chris. On that note, I have to add to the "things I love about Riley" list from the other day that I love the little grunty squeal noises she makes and the look on her face when she's loading her diaper. I know - I'm basically saying that I love it when she takes a crap. I don't love the diaper change that goes along with it, but the way she does it is just so CUTE!
Anyway, it does turn out that Thursday night was just a fluke and she was up twice last night. I won't complain though because I think being up only twice per night at 9 weeks old is pretty darn good.

4 comments:

Jumpin J's Mom said...

Totally know what you're talking about. I'll never forget when James peed and it bounced off the mirror in our bathroom and hit Sean's toothbrush. It'll be a story he hates to hear when he's a teenager! Love you and see you this week!

Katy said...

Actually, yours was the toothbrush I was talking about. I remember thinking at the time "EW! Not funny at all. What an annoying waste of a perfectly good toothbrush!" Riley wasn't born yet so I didn't get it. We don't keep toothbrushes near where we change her - good thing because she's totally capable of spraying pee everywhere, even though she's a girl!

-K

Anonymous said...

I never mind hearing about the Heider women and their bathroom antics! I love the sound she makes when she's upset and grunting but has a pacifier in her mouth!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I couldn't find this box,,don't know what I did wrong. I hope you blog while Lindsay and Matt are there. I'm dying to know what's going on. You know I want to be there... Oh, you have a surprise in the mail. It's what all the Colorado babes are wearing. Hope Riley and you love them, too. LOve, You favorite aunt